The creation of the Capitoline Museums has been traced back to 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV donated a group of bronze statues of great symbolic value to the People of Rome.
The collections are closely linked to the city of Rome, and most of the exhibits come from the city itself.
The Capitoline Hill is the smallest hill in Rome and was originally made up of two parts (the Capitolium and the Arx) separated by a deep valley which corresponds to where Piazza del Campidoglio now stands about 8 metres above the original site.
The sides of this hill were very steep and on account of the difficulty of reaching the top and the dominating position it enjoyed over the River Tiber, it was chosen as the city's main stronghold.
The hall was built in an open area that historically marked the boundary between the properties of the Conservators and the Caffarellis. In the same space, which was used to exhibit the many sculptures found in the excavations following the urbanization of new areas after the proclamation of Rome as the Capital of Italy, an octagonal pavilion, designed by Virgilio Vespignani, was built in 1876, later it was disassembled to make space for a garden.
Capitoline Museums: technology for museum communication
More in-depth news on the most important sculptures exhibited in the museum can be accessed on all smartphones equipped with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology.
Simply point your smartphone at the transparent card (tag), located next to the caption of the artwork or at its base, to load and display detailed information on the
The Virtual Tour of the Capitoline Museums – a Zètema Progetto Cultura production developed by HQuadro using the immersive virtual reality technology – is fully interactive and multimedia, and employs sophisticated processing techniques and photo-montage. Take a virtual walk into the halls of the museum. Use your mouse for a 360-degree view, up and down and zoom in to see works of art in detail: sculptures, paintings, architectural details, facings, ceilings and floors.