Musei Capitolini

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Share |
Capitoline She-wolf
Sculpture
5th century BC or medieval
Bronze
cm 75

The She-wolf, with its evocative power, is the symbol of the city. The donation of Sixtus IV brought the statue to the Capitoline Hill. Initially, it stood in the fifteenth century facade of the palace. Then, it was transferred inside the palace, on the occasion of Michelangelo's architectural interventions. At that time, the twins were added, attributed to some by Pollaiolo. They transformed the ancient Lateran symbol of justice into "Mater Romanorum".

The creation of the work, which originally had probably nothing to do with the legend of Rome's foundation, can be traced back to Etruscan or Magna Graecia workshops of the fifth century BC. Recently, based on the casting process analysis, it was suggested that it dates back to the Middle Ages.

Acquisition data: Formerly at the Lateran. Sixtus IV donation (1471)
Inventory: inv. MC1181

back to facilitated menu.