Palazzo dei Conservatori Museum
The Palazzo dei Conservatori, headquarters of the magistrature of the same name for hundreds of years, has, since the end of the 15th century, been home to the Capitoline collection of sculptures.
The palazzo's interior design and the layout of the works of art has been modified over the years.
The sculptures were originally situated in the external portico on the ground floor, on the façade and in the courtyard, but gradually were used also to decorate rooms on the first floor.
The name Palazzo dei Conservatori Museum was taken up in 1876 with the expansion of the exhibition area.
The refurbishment completed in 2005 has radically modified the appearance of this section of the museum, with the construction of a large glass hall for the great Capitoline bronzes, the refurbishing of the halls of the Roman Horti and the Castellani Collection, and the creation of a large sector dedicated to the Temple of Capitoline Jupiter.
Palazzo dei Conservatori Museum - Castellani Halls
The Sale Castellani contain an appreciable series of materials, which represent the point of arrival of the formation of the historic collections of the Museum in the second half of the XIX century.
The Collezione Castellani, donated by the famous goldsmith and collector Augusto Castellani, is constituted of items that come from the most important archaeological sites in Etruria, Latium, and southern Italy, which cover a period that goes from the VIII to the IV century BC.
In the current exhibition greater importance is given to classical ceramics, both imported from Greece and produced locally in Etruria and Latium, together with items of great interest such as the Aristonothos vase and the bronze Tensa (a chest for sacred objects).
There are also a number of archaeological pieces from the collections of the Museo Artistico Industriale.