Hall of the Galatian
The sculpture, reproduced several times in engravings and drawings, is perhaps the most famous sculpture of the entire collection. In 1734, the statue was acquired from the Ludovisi Sculpture Collection. Probably the Ludovisi family found the statue on the premises of their villa. The Villa Ludovisi was situated on the ancient horti of Caesar, which through inheritance then passed into the possession of the historian Sallustius. With great pathos the statue depicts a wounded Gaul (Galatian). His attributes are very evident: shield, torques around his neck, complete nudity, disorered locks of hair and moustache. The very visible wound indicates the sculptor's intention to depict the warrior in the last moment of resistance to his pain. Perhaps the image pertains to the great donation created during the era of Pergamon that Attalus placed along the terrace of the Temple of Athena Nikephoros in order to celebrate his victories over the Galatians.
PLEASE NOTE: the statue of the "Capitoline Gaul" is currently exhibited at the National Gallery of Art in Washington until 16 March 2014.