Musei Capitolini

facilitated menu

skip to:
content. search, section. languages, menu. utility, menu. main, menu. path, menu. footer, menu.

Share |
Courtyard Sala Egizia Lobby Small Rooms on the Ground Floor Main Staircase Gallery Hall of the Doves Cabinet of Venus Hall of the Emperors Hall of the Philosophers Great Hall Hall of the Faun Hall of the Galatian

Palazzo Nuovo

Despite a number of changes that have taken place over the centuries, this section of the museum has more or less maintained its original XVIII century aspect.
The decorative features of this area have remained unchanged, and this has influenced the layout of sculptures and inscriptions.
The fine pieces of ancient sculpture come mainly from private collections belonging to high-ranking churchmen and noble Roman families.
Unlike the Palazzo dei Conservatori opposite, the interior space of this building and the arrangement of its architectural features are of symmetrical design.

Palazzo Nuovo is so called because it was built ex novo, using Michelangelo’s blueprint when he redesigned the Palazzo dei Conservatori a century earlier to complete the renovation of the Capitoline Square.
The museum was opened to the public in 1734, under Pope Clement XII, who had already purchased the Albani collection of 418 sculptures the previous year, as an addition to the works already on display at the Vatican Belvedere and donated to the Capitoline museum by Pope Pius V in 1566, and the sculptures that could not find a place in Palazzo dei Conservatori. The collections are still arranged according to the exhibition concept of the eighteenth century.

Sala Egizia

Palazzo Nuovo - Sala Egizia

Gran parte delle opere esposte proviene dall’Iseo del Campo Marzio, il più importante santuario dedicato a Roma alle divinità egizie.

All’epoca del suo massimo fulgore, dopo la ricostruzione dell’imperatore Domiziano in seguito al grande incendio che distrusse il Campo Marzio nell’80 d.C., il grande complesso architettonico si sviluppava su un’area particolarmente estesa (circa m 220 x 70), con i templi di Iside e Serapide collegati da grande piazzale rettangolare.

Un lungo viale, simile alla via processionale dei grandi santuari egiziani, conduceva al tempio di Iside: l’accesso monumentale era decorato con colonne di granito grigio dal fusto figurato con sacerdoti, musici e cantori (esposte nel Cortile) e sormontate da capitelli in marmo bianco a forma di campana ornati di foglie a palmetta egizia. Lungo il viale si alternavano sfingi e piccoli obelischi e all’interno vi correva un canale dove scorreva l’acqua sacra, che alludeva al Nilo e aveva una funzione di rilievo nei rituali religiosi. Di particolare interesse il ritrovamento all’interno del canale di un coccodrillo in granito rosa, evidentemente immerso nell’acqua, che completava la suggestione dell’ambiente nilotico.

Sul lato opposto si innalzava il tempio di Serapide, che corrisponde all’area dove fu eretta la chiesa di S. Stefano del Cacco, il cui nome deriva dal ritrovamento in questa zona di una statua di cinocefalo (“cacco” o “macacco”) ora al Museo Gregoriano Egizio, che insieme ad altre statue simili conservate in questa sala decorava probabilmente il portico di accesso al tempio.

Sculpture
6th century BC
inv. MC0035
Architectural element
1rst century AC
inv. MC0025
Sculpture
359-341 BC
inv. MC0026
Sculpture
End of 4th century BC
inv. MC0031
Sculpture
359-341 BC
inv. MC0032
Sculpture
End of Tolomeo's age - beginning imperial age
inv. MC0033

back to facilitated menu.